Check out what our csa members are doing with the ingredients of their sharebox!.
Thanksgiving and Holiday Shares
Orders for Thanksgiving are closed but we are still taking orders for Holiday (December) shares to be deliverd at the B&O in Youngstown. The share is likely to consist of eggs, sweet potatoes, saurkraut, onions, potatoes, corn and wheat flour, black beans and value added items. Delivery date Dec. 22nd. Holiday Turkeys are also available ! Contact Elsa for more information.
THE ADVANTAGES OF CSA
- Greater nutritional value: Food traveling shorter distances, reaches customers with higher nutritional content.
- Supports the local economy: Money transferred stays within the local economy (doesn't go to Chicago (IGA) or Pittsburgh (Giant Eagle) creating direct and interdependent bonds between producers and consumers.
- Good price: Customers pay less or equal to what they would pay at the supermarket for organically grown produce and farmers get a fair price and we lower our carbon foot print!
- Variety: Customers get a variety of vegetables not always available at the local supermarket.
- Sustainable: It's sustainable because it's local and with few exceptions, we choose to work with farmers that follow organic practices.
What's in the Sharebox 11/22/11Thanksgiving:
- 3 onions
- 1 lb of salad greens
- 5 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 5 lbs of sweet potatoes
- 1 dz. eggs
- 1 bunch of carrots
- 2.5 lbs of corn flour
- 3 lbs of apples (baking)